The California Birth Center is an all-inclusive facility offering our clients holistic well-woman gynecological care and maternity services including prenatal care, labor support and postpartum follow-up care.
Our staff includes certified midwives and doulas with many years of experience. If you are seeking a natural, holistic birth in a comforting environment, you’ve come to the right place.
Maternity Care Services
We specialize in water birth and offer exclusive, individualized midwifery care tailored to meet the unique needs of your family in our birth center. We believe birth is far more than just a medical procedure; it’s also a passage into parenthood and the celebration of a new human being entering the world. We honor your birth as the enormous transition it is, while providing quality maternity care. We provide holistic, preventative prenatal, birth and postpartum care for you and your baby. We integrate alternative and western modalities with an extensive understanding of herbs and nutrition. We offer informed consent for all standard tests and procedures. We then ask you to decide for yourself what is most appropriate for you.
Prenatal appointments: What to expect during your visits
6-12 Weeks Gestation
- Initial Exam (description below)
- Second appointment – depending on initial exam gestation
14-17.6 Weeks Gestation
Centering Pregnancy Begins (description below)
Discussion: Routine ultrasound, exercise and sex during pregnancy, physical boundaries mentally/physically, emotional changes and EMF protection
18-21.6 Weeks Gestation
Nutrition, co-sleeping, poem, fetal growth, recommended readings and videos
22-24.6 Weeks Gestation
Glucose screen at 28 weeks, Rh negative, antibody screening, ultrasound results, FKC, warning signs
28-30.6 Weeks Gestation
Complications, transfer, placental encapsulation, water birth, land birth, types of childbirth education including hypnobirthing.
25-27.6 Weeks Gestation
Stages of labor and birth, ice challenge
31.33.6 Weeks Gestation
Breastfeeding, GBS, Vitamin K, Erythromycin, Hepatitis B, delayed cord clamping
34-36.6 Weeks Gestation
Newborn care, circumcision, hearing screen, newborn screen, optimal fetal positioning
37-39.6 Weeks Gestation
Postdates, postpartum, what to expect and how to prepare
There will be time at the end of centering appointments for Q and A which will bring out more information. In addition to the centering appointments, mothers will also have individual appointments in the later 3rd trimester.
Our care is family-centered, and we welcome your partner and anyone supporting you through your pregnancy to join us during our visits. All tests and procedures are discussed, options are presented, and your choices are respected. We inquire into your feelings and needs and provide necessary support and resources.
During your hour exam we:
- Take your complete medical history and perform a physical exam
- Perform ultrasound to confirm pregnancy dating if less than 12 weeks
- Order/Perform labs as necessary or request copies of records from your former care provider
- Perform a complete prenatal exam which may include the following based on gestational age:
- Blood pressure and pulse
- Assessing baby’s size
- Listening to baby’s heartbeat beginning at 9 weeks
- Engage in a comprehensive personalized discussion regarding healthy lifestyle choices, including nutrition, exercise, rest, stress reduction, what to avoid, as well as natural remedies for pregnancy discomforts
Centering and Subsequent prenatal exams
Centering is a group prenatal appointment that you will attend with other women of the same gestation as you. The group will receive education on the topics listed above and receive their individual prenatal appointment before, at break, or after the centering group session has ended. This will allow you to bond with other women experiencing pregnancy right along with you and allow for more education to take place.
During your centering prenatal appointments, we:
- Perform a prenatal exam
- Discuss your nutrition based on individual needs and practices
- Inquire into your pregnancy-related health concerns and give recommendations
- Answer all your questions and address any worries
- Follow-up with necessary blood work and culture
During your birth our care team provides:
- Labor support as needed including a doula
- All necessary medical equipment to monitor and care for you and your baby
- Breastfeeding education and support
- A complete newborn exam performed within a few hours of the birth
- A discussion on normal newborn behavior, when to call us with concerns, as well as mother and baby care for postpartum recovery
*Add on service (additional fee): On-site placental encapsulation
Depending on the time and nature of the birth, most mothers will be discharged 3-4 hours postpartum. Moms will be establishing care with a pediatrician. We provide care for the first six weeks after the birth of your baby which includes:
On-call phone support 24 hours a day for the entire 6-week postpartum period for any concerns you may have by a member of our team.
Postpartum visits at:
- 2-3 days – in home visit
- 1 week – in office visit, will refer for breastfeeding support if needed
- 6 weeks – in office visit, well woman/well baby visit
- Breastfeeding support
- Discussions regarding family adjustment and development
- Family planning consultation
- Postpartum depression support and resources
Well-Woman Gynecology Care
We provide gentle annual exams. GYN care includes:
- Pregnancy testing
- PAP smears
- Vaginal cultures
- Pelvic and breast exams
- Various birth control options
- Family planning/preconception counseling
- Blood tests
- Blood pressure check
- Nutritional counseling
- Natural remedies
Our standard birthing care package includes prenatal, labor, doula services, delivery, your stay at the birth center and postpartum care as described above. As the fees for your maternity care may vary based on your insurance and individual birth plan – we offer customized quotes to provide you with the most accurate pricing information. Please contact Amanda Thomas, our Office Manager, to receive your personalized care quote today.
Please note, these services are not included in our standard care fees:
- 20 week anatomy scan ultrasound
- Labs uncovered by insurance
- For Rh negative women: Rhogam, antibody screen, blood typing on baby
- Newborn blood screening
- Additional group B strep cultures
Transport from birth center to hospital
In the unlikely event that a medical condition develops during labor, or after the baby is born which makes it inappropriate for you to continue at the birth center and you must be transported to the hospital, one of our care providers will accompany you to the hospital and stay to support you for as long as necessary. There will be no refund of fees if the actual delivery does not occur in the planned setting. There will be no additional fees for the hospital labor support.
Transfer to hospital care provider
If you develop a medical condition during pregnancy that requires transfer of care to a hospital based care provider, you are still responsible for the deposit and prenatal visit fees. If the balance has been paid in full at the time of transfer of care, the total number of prenatal visits will be added up and any overpayment will be refunded.